Korcula Croatia

Korcula Croatia
 

Home
 
Language Tools
 
      

Accommodation
Villas
Houses for Rent
Apartments
Studio Apartments
Rooms
HOT Links
Arrival
Korcula Map
Island Of Proizd
Island Korcula
Croatia

Yacht Charter
Gulet Croatia
Adriatic Cruises
Photo Gallery
 
COOL Links
DUBROVNIK
Dubrovnik - Neretva
Real Estate
Rent-a-Boat Rent-a-Boat
 
Useful Links
Weather Forecast
 
Tourist Office Vela Luka
Tourist Office Vela Luka
Island Search
Island Search
 

     
Croatia
Dubrovnik - Neretva County
Dubrovnik
Island Of Korcula
Korcula
Blato
Vela Luka
Smokvica
Cara

Pupnat
Zrnovo
Raciste
Lumbarda
 
Croatia >
 
Croatia
Much has been said about the beauty of Croatia. "Heaven on Earth" has been described in many books by artists, in paintings and countless photographs. "God wanted to crown his creation, so on the last day he created the Croatian Adriatic from his tears, the stars and sea breeze",wrote an author long ago about the splendour of this most beautiful and preserved ecological corner of the modern world.
 
The Dubrovnik - Neretva County >
 
Dubrovnik Neretva
It is rich in carefully cultivated landscape and places with long history. Numerous monuments, archives and magnificent treasuries testify to this. It is a region of the historic towns of Dubrovnik, Korcula, Ston; the remains of ancient Narona and the lost, possibly sunken town of Epidaur; of importants harbours of Ploce and Metkovic; of communities of great historical importance - Cavtat, Lopud, Slano, Mali Ston, Orebic; and of a few dozen little villages blending into the landscape of the coast or a river bank, of a hill or a field. Also, there are about a hundred renaissance summer houses built by merchants, nobles and seamen in nice bays, or on the edges of valleys, surrounded by gardens and parks. On certain sites, these summer houses were built in spectacular rows, like in Rijeka Dubrovacka, on the island of Sipan, in Konavle.
 
Dubrovnik >
 
Dubrovnik
The uniqueness of Dubrovnik lies in its continuous ties to its past history and cultural heritage and the modern lifestyle that mirrors its spiritual identity, historical imprint and presence within European culture. This monument city, surrounded by ancient historical walls, reflects its own beauty and its confrontation with the peculiarities of the centuries. Dubrovnik has always been Croatias link to the world, recognizable through the contributions of its reputable writers, scientists, composers, painters, and architects - whose names adorn the streets and squares, and it has remained a destination for the many artists world wide who have pilgrimed to Dubrovnik. As an acknowledged Croatian tourist center rich in tradition, Dubrovnik has always known how to completely present the specialness of its natural beauty, monumental architecture and cultural sights through its international art festivals, scientific and other programs as well as by way of the numerous cultural, museum, scientific and other institutions that have left their imprint on Europes cultural map. It could be said that the blend of the traditional and the modern is the outcome of the supply that is evident in the numerous events occurring throughout the year, and which are harmoniously fitted into the tourist supply, that is thereby enriched in its own special and unique way. To be in Dubrovnik implies participating in a continuously live, stimulative, and inspirational dialogue with the past and present. The vivid impressions of the beauty and inter-reciprocity leave no one indifferent. Dubrovnik is a city one always comes back to.
 
The Island Of Korcula >
 
Island of Korcula
The island of Korcula was inhabited already in pre-historic times, and the trails of pre-historic life were discovered on many places. The oldest funds are the stone knives from the Neolithic found on the small island of Badija next to the town of Korcula. The richest and best investigated fund place from the Neolithic is the Vela spila (the big cave) in Vela Luka. They found and investigated there several stratums of pre-historic life with fire places, ceramic pieces, graves (5000-3000 before Christ).
 
Korcula >
 
Korcula
The town of Korcula (3232 inhabitants) is the historical, cultural and political centre and the historical harbour of the island. It was built on a small peninsula that limits the passing between the island and the mainland on only 1270 metres. The possibility to supervise the navigation of galleys and sailing-vessels on this spot was the reason for the formation of the small town-fortress. It fulfilled this service for different governors. The town developed hastily from the 13th century, in the form it can be seen today. Those were the years of the origin of the Constitution, the coming of the governors Zorzi and the century of Marco Polo.
 
Blato >
 
Blato
BLATO (4093 inhabitants) is situated in the middle of the western part of the island like an amphitheatre on seven hills around a smaller valley. Through the village stretches a long alley of lime-trees called “Zlinje”, and along it are public buildings built in the last few decades: the school, a hotel, banks, shops, the municipality, the clinic and others. In the old centre, southern of “Zlinje”, on a big patterned place, is the parish church of “All Saints” that was originally built in the 13th century, the bell-tower and the lodge.
 
Vela Luka >
 
Vela Luka
Town of Vela Luka is an oasis of Dalmatia and Mediterranean influences: mild climate, unpolluted sea and air, olive groves, fig trees, tuneful melodies. Vela Luka is surrounded by the richness and beauty of Nature. It is the 2nd largest settlement on the Adriatic islands, a safe harbour for seafarers. It enjoys a Mediterranean climate with 2670 hours of sunshine a year. Summers are hot with June/July average temperature 25.6`C. Winters are mild with January average temperature 9`C. Sea temperatures in mid- summer are between 21`C - 24`C, reaching up to 28`C along the coast. Visibility - up to 30 metres depth.
 
Smokvica
 
Smokvica
1.175 inhabitants) is also on the main island road, 29 km from the town of Korcula. It lies under the south slope of a high hill protected from the unpleasant north winds and facing south, like the neighbouring villages of Pupnat and Cara. Not far from Smokvica one can find significant traces of life from Illyrian times in the location of Gradina etc. Smokvica began to develop in its present form in the 15th and 16th centuries, when the island was more and more being inhabited by refugees from the Turkish advance. The original church was built in 1666 but was later pulled down, and the new parish church, Our Lady of Candlemas, was built in 1920. Only the loggia remained from the old complex, where the village elders used to settle the village problems, and the judge and the gentlemen of the town administered justice and passed on the news. Old customs have been preserved in the village, among the best known being the sword battle Kumpanija and Plucking the Orange, as well as the ancient dances performed by young men and girls. The people of Smokvica are known far and wide as industrious and hard-working men and women, who cultivate their land with hard devotion. They are therefore rightly proud of their two excellent dry white wines produced from the original native species - Posip and Rukatac. The modern wine factory of large capacity is 1 km away from the middle of the village on the road towards the bay of Brna, which was developed in the previous century for the export of wine from the Smokvica cellars to the ports of the Adriatic and the Mediterranean. A comfortable hotel, and numerous villas and houses for hiring to tourists have been built in Brna. One may taste, together with fish specialities, excellent Smokvica wines in the cafe near the jetty. Some hundred metres away from the bay of Brna, there lay the bay of Istruga, full of medicinal sea mud. Local people use this valuable therapeutic mud although there is still no organized expert service or supervision. The local road from Brna goes further towards the west to the bays of Prizba, Grscica and Karbuni, where the inhabitants of Blato have built significant facilities for tourism.
 
Cara
 
Cara
(763 inhabitants) is simared on the main island road, 25 km from Korcula. The village has a mysterious name (Cara - Charm) and is one of the oldest settlements of the Island. The parish church of Saint Petes in the middle of the village was mentioned in 1415, and the most valuable painting in it is the famous altar painting Christ with Desciples by Leandro Hassano. Next to she church, there is a neither old cypress which is protected under Croatian laws for the preservation of nature, though ir is not protected from thunderstorms which reduced it to only a remnant of a big tree. Opposite the church, on the road, there is a monument to the legendary brothers Crnomiri. Under the leadership of Petar Crnomir, they offered resistance to the Venetian duke, who was extorting tribute in the 11th century. The duke captured and executed Petar, but the brothers and the whole village rose up, defeated the duke's soldiers and killed the duke as an evil-doer. This legend has survived for centuries and lives still in the minds of peasants from Cara. The Church of Our Lady in the Field lies in the beautiful Field of Cara on the way to the bay of Zavalatica. It was built in 1329 and reconstructed in the 17th century. Christians from all over the island go on pilgrimage to this church for two Catholic feasts: July 25th, the feast of Saint Jacob the protector of Cara, and for the feast of Mala Gospa, on September 8th. A young shepherdess from Cara had a vision of the Our Lady in the bay of Cavica Luka on July 25 1686. The Baroque altar is this church is decorated with coloured alabaster relief with four scenes from the Bible. The reliefs are of the same origin as those exhibited in the Treasury in Korcula (15th.) Cara has preserved the sword dance Kumpaniiia, which is performed on July 25 on the feast of St. Jacob. The tradition of singing Dalmatian popular folk songs has also been preserved. The best known product of Cara, besides good olive oil, is the famous white wine from the autochthonic vine of Posip. The new wine factory and olive press are both at the edge of the valley. Not far from Cara, the little port of Zavalatica was developed to export the products in earlier times. Today it is an enchanting tourist attraction. Numerous small pensions, villas and apartments for hiring at Zavalatica and the nearby bay of Zitna provide summer homes to well-satisfied tourists from all over Europe.
 
Pupnat
 
Pupnat
(461 inhabitants) is situated at the side of the main island road, 13 km from the town of Korcula and is the highest settlement on the island. It is hidden in a valley high up amoung the mountains so that enemies and pirates from the sea could not discren it. The church of Saint George was already mentioned in 1383, and the parish church of our Lady of the Snow was built in 1620. Finds from Illyrian and Roman times have been found in the village. Numerous ancient singlestory houses covered by stone slabs are preserved, especially the complex of sheep and goat houses southwest of the village. The traditional Kumpanjija battle and the sacrifice of the ox have not taken place in Pupnat for almoust 50years. The blessed Marko Tvrdeic (1733 - 1785) - the blessed Marko of Pupnat - was born here. Man from Pupnat transfered his body from his tomb in Rimini, and they revere him as a future saint. The inhabitants used to occupy themselves with wood cutting and collecting resin ; and they made lime and charcoal for use in the craft workshops in Korcula. The women from Pupnat used to bring firewood to Korcula, transported on their mules and donkeys. Agriculture is not largely developed as there are no sizable fields around the village. Today, many men and women from Pupnat work in the Korcula Hotels, offices and the shipyard. Pupnat is a very interesting place for modern tourists as a starting point for attractive walks: from the village to the top of the island, Klupca (568 m); from the village down to the village of Raciste on the north coast; from the village to the valley of Zukovica on the south coast; and by ancient island donkey tracks down to the town of Korcula (a walk of approximately 3 hours). Visitors can buy good local product here: oil, brandy, honey, dried aromatic herbs and fruit; due to the cold dry winters, very well flavoured smoked ham (prsut) and sausages are produced in Pupnat. Families from Pupnat are linked with the bay of Kneza on the north side of the island, where they have built houses and villas for tourists. On the south coast, Pupnat possesses the most beautiful bays on the island of Korcula: Bacva, Smokova, Pupnatska Luka and Ripna. It is possible to reach these natural beaches either by walking or by car. It is even possible to organize a Castaway stay in some of them. From Pupnat, the road climbs up almost to the top of the island from where a wonderful panorama streches as far as the island of Mljet to the southeast and the island of Lastovo directly the the south.
 
Zrnovo
 
Zrnovo
(1.267 inhabitans) is situated on the main island road that runs between Korcula and Vela luka. Zrnovo is 4 km from Korcula. Its consist of four separate villages; Prvo Sela (First Vilage), Brdo (Mount), Kampus and Postrana. Due to its favourable strategic position, it is one of the oldest settlements on the island. Finds of prehistoric life in Jakasova cave, remains from Illyrian and Roman times, and medieval buildings and documents all speak of the rich history of Zrnovo. Entering the village from the direction of Korcula, to the right one finds a divergent road to Brdo (0.5 km) - a part of the village perched amoung high rocks from where one can walk to Kocje - a protected natural park with interesting dolomite rocks of chalk formation (2.5 km). The church of St. Martin is situated on the Mratina hill, and was first mentioned in 1329, and completed in the 16th century. A very attractive piazzeta in front of the church of St. Rocco lies in the region of Postrana. In accordance with the decrees of the statute of 1620, the chivalrous battle Mostra - a struggle for the defence of the home and the election of the village king - takes place here each year on the feast of St. Rocco, August 16th. Even in the 1970s, this battle was still ending with the sacrifice of an ox, whose head was cut off with one stroke of the sword of Vojvoda. This final act has not been performed in recent years because of debates about the humane context of such a custom. A fortified house - kastel - of the Banicevic family is situated in Postrana. Here, Jakov Banicevic (Jacobus de Bannisis) was born on October 15th 1466. He was a renowned European diplomat, counsellor, and the special envoy of the emperors Maximillian I and Charles V, as well as the friend of Erasmus from Rotterdam, Albrecht Durer and Pietro Bemba; he died in Trento on December 19th 1532. A memorial plaque was set on the wall of his native house in 1646. Erasmus from Rotterdam said about this man: e is a man blessed with numerous and varied abilities. The best known man from Zrnovo today is the great Croatian writer Petar Segedin, who describes his native Zrnovo in numerous pages of his rich Work. Many families from the regions of Brdo and Prvo Selo have built impressive stone houses and villas for hiring to tourists in the bays of Vrbovica, Banja and Medvinjak on the northern part of the island. They also offer the products of their households: wine, olive oil, local brandy, and freshly caught fish. Thus, the people of Zrnovo, like other Korculans, discovered village tourism a long time ago. The people of Zrnovo living in the regions of Postrana and Kampus also have possessions in the bays on the south side of the island - defora. these coves, which can be reached by towpaths or rough roads only suitable for agricultural vehicles, are popular amoung tourists who look for Robinson Crusoe like bays and islets. The best known are Orlandusa, Pavja Luka and Rasohatica. Strong red wines made from the Plavac grape grown in these southern coves are especially well thought of in the Korcula cafes. Besides frequent folklore performances, there is a tradition of juvenile theatre in Zrnovo. Young boys and girls from Zrnovo have recived high prizes in both local and international festivals.
auto camp VRBOVICA
 
Raciste
 
Raciste
(446 inhabitants) is one of the younger settlements on the island as it was only inhabited at the end of the 17th century and at the beginning of the 18th century by refugees from Makarska Littoral and Herzegovina during the Venetian – Turkish wars. Enterprising men and women from Racisce quickly accepted the ?maritime? way of life, and they were the owners of the biggest island fleet of cargo sailing boats from the end of the 19th century until 1950. Today, the men of Raciste are either mostly maritime officers or ordinary seamen in modern ships of all flags, and they are predominant shareholders of the big transatlantic shipping line Mediteranska plovidba of Korcula. Ther is the old church Our Lady of Christian Aid from the time of the village (1682), and the more recent church of St. Nicolas. The war memorial to the fallen in Second World War is the is the work of the sculptor Pallavicini, and the bust of the war hero Tugomir Matic by the sculptor Radoslav Duhovic is exhibited in the middle of the village. The bays and wonderful natural beaches of Vaja and Samograd lie to the west of the town. The bay of Samograd is also famous for its attractive cave – a significant prehistoric dwelling of man on this island. It is possible to walk from Racisce and Kneze to the village of Pupnat, the highest village of the island.
 
Lumbarda >
 
Lumbarda

1.102 inhabitants), 7 km from Korcula, lies at very eastern and of the island of Korcula. Besides finds from the period of Greek colonization (Psephism from Lumbarda from the 4th c B.C.), there are remnants of the Roman villa rustica, and of the medieval churches and chapels. The fortified villas (kasteli) of the families Krsinic, Nobilo and Milina are exceptional examples of this kind of architecture.

The small Lumbarda Hotel with its attractive terrace and intimate of the village by the Prvi zal beach and next to the bus stop. Excursionists from Korcula cab enjoy the delicious specialties of Lumbarda, especially the Grk wine and smoked ham (Prsut). Fruit and vegetables from Lumbarda, and fresh and salted fish are a special treat at market in Korcua. Going left from the Hotel terrace along the seashore, there is a modern marina, a comfortable tourist apartment complex, near the sandy beach Tatinja.

 
 
Custom Search
Izrada web stranica: design--ERS (c) 2002-2017 Apartments Vela Luka
| Croatia Vacation | Prigradica | Kroatien | +